Pte Joshua Hawkins
Joshua's connection to St Ives was his marriage to Nellie (née Tollady). Her stepfather, Henry George Parker, was well known in the town. He owned a printing and bookbinding business, a newsagents and a motor garage in St Ives. Henry appeared in the local court in 1916 to employ 'an ingenious defence' on a charge of using a motor car without a licence, as reported by the Hunts Post on 8 September 1916. Joshua and Nellie married in 1907 and a daughter was born the following year. Joshua was head cook at Kings College, Cambridge, and the family home was at Chesterton.

Joshua joined the Essex Regiment and landed in France early in 1918. Within weeks he was reported missing from 21 March 1918. On that day the Germans launched their Spring Offensive. Wishing to strike decisively before American troops arrived and reinforced by half a million experienced troops transferred from the war with Russia, in just five hours the enemy fired a million shells at the British lines. This was followed by elite storm troopers, travelling lightly, skilled in fast, hard-hitting attacks. By the end of the day 21,000 British soldiers were taken prisoners and the Germans had made huge advances.

The family had an agonising wait for news. Over six months later Nellie received confirmation that he had been a prisoner of war and had died of dysentery on 30 May 1918, aged 42yrs. The Hunts Post published the news on 11 October 1918. His wife published a tribute to him in the same edition. Joshua is buried at Annois Communal Cemetery, France. He is also commemorated war memorials at Cambridge Guildhall, St Philips Church and Chesterton.

Pte Gerald Newton
Gerald was born and lived in Warboys, his father a local farmer. His connection to St Ives was that he was sent to St Ives Grammar School for his education. The Hunts Post published his name on 9 October 1914 as one of the old pupils who had signed for the War.

Gerald joined the Suffolk Yeomanry. He died in Malta on 1 November 1915, aged 21yrs. It is most likely he died in one of the military hospitals established on Malta from injuries sustained whilst fighting in Gallipoli. Gerald is buried at Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta. He is also commemorated on a plaque at St Ives Literary Institute and Warboys War Memorial.

Pte Albert Henry Smith
Born in St Ives in 1897, by 1911 Albert was an errand boy working for one of the producers of leather in the town. The family home was at 12 Crown Walk, St Ives.

Albert joined the Hunts Cyclists in 1915 and served on coastal defence in Lincolnshire or Yorkshire. He was subsequently transferred to the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and endured some of the fiercest battles in France, going over the top five times. He was injured at Vimy Ridge. After a period in hospital he worked in the Labour Battalion before being discharged in July 1918. Albert was serving his hairdressing apprenticeship at Mr Hills hairdressing establishment. He died of  pneumonia, no doubt caused by the Spanish flu epidemic, on 14 November 1918, aged 21yrs. The Hunts Post reported on his funeral on 22 November 1918. Albert is buried in St Ives Public Cemetery.

2nd Lieut Reginald Connor Phillips Wilder
Mabel Grove was born in St Ives in 1871 and married the Rev William Wilder in 1894. The family home was at The Rectory, Great Bradley, Suffolk. They had three sons. Mabel's second son, Reginald, was born in 1896. He joined the Suffolk Regiment, completed his commission in January 1914 and was appointed a Second Lieutenant. Reginald embarked to France at the end of August 1914.

At 7.00am on Wednesday 18 November 1914 Reginald was on trench duty when he was shot through the head by a German sniper, killing him instantly. He was aged 19yrs. Originally buried at Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Military Cemetery, the location of his grave was subsequently lost, hence he is commemorated on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, France. There is a photograph of Reginald held by the Imperial War Museum. The altar window at St Mary's Church, Great Bradley is dedicated to Reginald and he is listed on the church's roll of honour. The Hunts Post published news of Reginald's death on 20 November 1914, unfortunately including a few errors. Reginald was commonly called Rex (not Max) and didn't have an initial G. The published date of death was also incorrect.

Cpl Archibald Dennis Woods
Born in Bury St Edmunds, Archibald spent his childhood there. By 1911 he was a hairdresser, boarding in Willesden, London. So what was his connection to St Ives? Shortly after 1911 he came to St Ives to work in Mr Hill's hairdressing establishment. What brought him to St Ives is unclear, but he  intended to make it his home. On his only leave in early 1915 he married a local girl, Milly Peek.

Archibald enrolled with the Worcestershire Regiment when War broke out and, apart from the one allowance of leave, served right through to his death at the Front. At the Battle of the Somme he was shot through the throat on 4 July 1916 and subsequently gassed. He survived transport to Warrington Hospital, where he died on 10 July 1916, aged 27yrs. He was clearly a popular resident of St Ives. The Hunts Post published details of his funeral on 21 July 1916. The Mayor and local dignitaries as well as a large congregation turned out and there were 'signs of mourning and sympathy on all hands'.  Archibald is buried in the cemetery at St Ives Parish Church, but appears to have no other commemoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment