The Night Light, by Archie Naish

The Night Light, by Archie Naish
I've been thinking of the home where my early years were spent
'Neath the care of a kind maiden aunt,
And to go there once again has often been my intent,
But the railways fare's expensive, so I can't.
Still, I never can forget that night when last we met.
'Oh, promise me - whate'er you do,' she said,
'Wear flannel next your chest, and, when you go to rest
Keep a night-light always burning by your bed.'

And my eyes are dim and wet,
For I seem to hear them yet,
Those solemn words of parting that she said.
'Now mind you burn a night-light,
'Twill last until it's quite-light
In a saucerful of water by your bed.'

I promised as she wished, and her tears I gently dried
As she gave me all the halfpence that she had.
And through the world e'er since, I have wandered far and wide,
And been gradually going to the bad.
Many a folly, many a crime, I've committed in my time,
For a lawless and a chequered life I've led.
Still I've kept the promise sworn, flannel next my skin I've worn,
And I've always burnt a night-light by my bed.

All unhallowed my pursuits (Oft to bed I've been in boots),
Still o'er my uneasy slumber has been shed
The moderately bright light
Afforded by a night-light
In a saucerful of water by my bed.

A little while ago, in a dream my aunt I saw
In her frill-surrounded night-cap there she stood.
And I sought to hide my head 'neath the counterpane in awe,
And I trembled - for my conscience isn't good.
But her countenance was mild - so indulgently she smiled
That I knew there was no further need for dread.
She had seen the flannel vest enveloping my chest
And the night-light in its saucer by my bed.

But ere a word she spoke I unhappily awoke
And away, alas, the beauteous vision sped.
There was nothing but the slight light
Of the melancholy night-light
That was burning on a saucer by my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Designed & created by My Website St Ives. Get in touch for your own website.